The south end of Clear Lake has so many things to offer. You can spend an afternoon at Anderson Marsh, watching the egrets wade knee-deep in the water. Plus, it’s also a great place to pass a holiday afternoon filled with shopping. Here are a few recommendations of great places in Lower Lake and Clearlake to pick up the perfect gifts for your loved ones.
- Filled with all things gaming, Kingdom Games in Clearlake is one of the best places in Lake County to pick up a great gift for your favorite gamer. Step inside, and you’ll be inundated by board, card, role-playing, and video games. But don’t worry about getting overwhelmed; all the employees are knowledgeable and willing to help.
- If you’re looking for a one-of-a-kind gift, Small Town Ceramics in Lower Lake is the place. It’s a complete paint-your-own pottery studio. Just pick your favorite shape, from goblets to plates to tiny chihuahuas, then paint it with the perfect color or design. And, voila! You’ve created a gift that’s truly original.
- It’s not too often that you get to pick up candles at the factory, but you get to do just that at Aloha Bay Candles in Lower Lake. Step in the door, and your nose fills with the aromas of essential oils and warm candle wax, all waiting to be taken home. While you’re there, be sure to peer through the window into the working factory.
- Barreda’s Lower Lake Feed Store: It’s much, much more than just a feed store. Barreda’s has a selection of perfect gifts for the holidays. They have toys, candles, cards, and other items. It’s a great place to pick up some weed-eating gators for a loved one, a puzzle for a friend, or something special for your beloved pet.
- Don’t forget to stop by Mendo Mill in Clearlake. Of course, it’s got a collection of supplies from screws to drywall, but it also stocks a full selection of grilling items, unique gifts, and, of course, power tools. It’s the perfect place to pick up something for that handy person in your life.
And if you’re looking for some great food, here are a few suggestions guaranteed to tantalize your tastebuds.
- Pasquinelli’s Deli in Lower Lake is the perfect place to take a break from your shopping. Step in, order a coffee and one of their quality sandwiches and relax for a few minutes, watching the people pass on the sidewalk. They also have a selection of unique gifts inside. And, if you don’t feel like cooking for the holidays, they offer catering services.
- If you’re looking for something tasty and filling, head to La Chilanguita in Clearlake and order a huarache (or ‘sandal’ in Spanish). Corn flour is stuffed with beans, shaped into a large oval, fried, and then topped with fresh veggies and handmade salsa. It’s crunchy, chewy, and completely wonderful. If you haven’t had it before, you have to try it. And be sure to order a cold Pacifico to wash it down.
A true hidden treasure, Danny’s Roadside Kitchen in Lower Lake barbecues the right way, with long smoking times and thoughtful preparation. But it’s got more than just ribs and pulled pork–you’ll also find burgers, sandwiches, and even vegetarian options. It also has a pleasant patio out back that serves as a great place to dig in and enjoy your meal.